Safety considerations whilst walking
Please keep 2m apart at all times. This is the length of 2 Nordic Walking poles. If anyone loses concentration and comes within your space, it is totally acceptable and justified to kindly let them know immediately. Let’s look out for ourselves and each other at all times
We will choose routes with as much space as possible and for those times we need to be in single file, please keep looking ahead rather than turning around talking
At times we may need to pause to allow other path users to pass. We will endeavour to keep you 2m from other people on our walks, but there are a lot of idiots out there, and every walk has a pinch point
If we are unable to socially distance we will ask you to turn away from the person until they have passed. If possible, the walk leader will go ahead at a pinch point to ensure the way is clear. In these situations, please wait until you are told it is safe to proceed
If at any time you feel uncomfortable about anything, please do not hesitate to say. The walk leader won’t be offended!
Gates will be opened and closed by the walk leader to limit the number of people touching them
Usual stile crossing etiquette is not possible in these times so we would ask that you put your own poles through/over the stile before crossing with full care and attention, before collecting your poles and moving away from the area so we can all keep social distancing. We advise using hand sanitiser after touching a stile or gate
We will only shout and/or blow the whistle if absolutely necessary and if more than 2m away from anyone.
Should a first aid situation arise, we will endeavour to assist from a 2m distance. If this is not possible and urgent assistance is needed we will ask you to put on your face mask/covering, whilst the walk leader administers first aid. Walk leaders will wear a face mask/covering and use hand sanitiser before helping you.
It is up to you to take reasonable personal responsibility when taking part in a walk
- You must carry hand sanitiser
- You must carry a face mask or covering
- You must be cleared by your GP to attend if you are on the vulnerable lists and an email to that effect must be sent to NWTameside@gmail.com at least 48 hours before a walk (this might change when shielding ends but at the moment it is required by our insurers, so if you’re on the vulnerable lists you might want to start looking into it)
- You must comply with the direction of the walk leader
- You must social distance (2m) as directed by the walk leader
- You must not share equipment
- You must update your PARQ on Exercise Anywhere to complete the COVID specific questions. Please ensure your answers are accurate EVERY TIME you book onto and attend a walk
- You must cancel yourself off a walk/waiting list if you think you may have symptoms, or do have symptoms, or have been in contact with someone who has symptoms
- You must agree to your name being shared with the NHS Test & Trace system if require
Please check when booking that you are booked on the walk and not placed on a waiting list. If you turn up when on a waiting list you will be unable to take part
If you end up on the waiting list, you will be numerically placed according to when you booked on compared with others. If anyone books off the walk you will be bumped up the waiting list. If you’re in waiting list position 1 you will be moved on to the walkers list as soon as anyone books off. Email confirmations get sent out each time things change on the waiting list. If you do not make it onto the walk you will be automatically refunded
PLEASE NOTE: The late cancellation policy is more important now than ever as a late cancellation will almost definitely affect someone else getting on to the activity. Owing to demand we would appreciate timely cancellations from the walkers list or the waiting list if you cannot attend, so as to give others their opportunity to attend (our cancellation policy still applies for those on the walkers list)